History of Brickyard Hill
Church of God in Christ


This church was organized in the year of 1948 under the leadership of Elder B. W. Woodberry. His co-founders were Mother Annie Hayes and Mother Addie Ward. The church at that time was known as Bessemer #2 Church of God in Christ. In later years the name was changed to Brickyard Hill Church of God in Christ. The church started out very small and the people called it a "chicken shack." That did not stop the people from seeking and praying for souls to be saved and it did not stop them from worshipping and praising the Lord.

Many pastors have come and gone and all served a definite purpose in our history, but in 1983 God blessed the church with a wonderful and caring pastor, Superintendent L. Bevelle. God has given him many talents, he is anointed to preach with power, he can sing, he teaches and his words are seasoned, he has a great sense of humor, and he reaches out to all people, both young and old. He truly is a blessing to the church.

The Lord gave Superintendent Bevelle a vision and the people caught the vision and had a mind to work. Renovation began, and the church as now progressed from a "chicken shack" to a beautiful sanctuary many times the size of a chicken shack. God prospered the hands of the pastor to build his house, this church, Brickyard Hill Church of God in Christ, "A Beacon of Light."